In continuation of the last post, here are a few more links to free downloads of books about Portugal around the time of the French Invasions. The 1st two ones, I have added them later to the previous post, but I'll repeat them here.
There are a lot more, you just have to follow the link at the bottom of the page. Prepare yourself, it's addictive!
- · COMBE, William, "A History of Madeira : with a series of twenty-seven colored engravings, illustrative of the costumes, manners, and occupations of the inhabitants of the Island", 1821
- · "Le Monde, Histoire de Tous Les Peuples Depuis Les Temps Les Plus Recules Jusqu'a Nos Jours, Portugal, Espagne et Les Pays-Bas", Several authors, 1838
- · BECKFORD, William, "Recollections of an excursion to the monasteries of Alcobaça and Batalha", pub 1835
- CARRERE, Joseph-Barthélemy-François, "A picture of Lisbon, taken on the spot : being a description moral, civil, political, physical and religious, of that capital; with sketches of the government character and manners of the portuguese in general", 1809
- · GRAHAM, William, "Travels Through Portugal and Spain, During the Peninsular War", pub 1820
- · MAXWELL, W. H. (ed.), "Peninsular sketches : by actors on the scene", 2 volumes, pub 1845
And, as said above, here's the link to much, much more, including writing by Junot, the 43rd Monmouthshire Light Infantry and other military memoirs.